Saturday, April 18, 2020

I’ve Learned Some Things About Antivirus and File Management Software

I’m finding that it is possible to download some great software tools to help improve my efficiency at work and at home. Some are free and some aren’t. In particular I am thinking about the importance of antivirus software for my computer.

I’ve had the occasional virus over the years, and it can totally ruin hundreds of files and cause very significant losses. Even the more benign viruses can slow you down. So I’ve determined to make sure I always have updated antivirus protection on all my computers.


The thing is, there are a number of good free programs you can download to obtain solid virus protection. I’ve come to learn that the free software does the trick, but I need to also install additional software to protect against trojan horses and adware.

Although usually not as dangerous as a true virus attack, your computer can get really slow if there are thousands of cookies and other gremlins interfering with its operation. The free antivirus software will likely not protect as well against all the internet marauders; so it might be best (and fastest) to buy a modestly priced package like Avast! or Norton.

Finally, as the business world leans towards a paperless environment, there is the need to be able to consolidate and organize all types of files from hundreds of software applications. We’ll likely find more and more the need to convert spreadsheets, text files and photographs to pdf format.

Of course, Adobe is the Big Dog in this field, with a number of other players as well. Adobe Acrobat is probably the best-known software package and there are a few choices of exactly which product in that family you choose. If your needs are very basic, you might be able to get away with the free Adobe Reader. That is pretty limiting though, and I’ve found that I need something that will let me work with the files rather than just read, save, send and print them.

Whichever file management software you select, you’ll find that there are significant time savings in being able to quickly work with pdf files. I suspect this is only going to become more prevalent in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Great article about debt advice, the key is to remain possitive and think of moving forward solwly. I found this site really useful.

    ReplyDelete